GCSE Results Day 2021 Statement
Over the past 18 months students at Welling School have faced unprecedented disruption to their education. The GCSE Results published today demonstrate their resilience and determination to succeed and as a whole school community we recognise and celebrate their success.
Overall, our results show:
- 66% grade 4+ in English and Maths
- 39% grade 5+ in English and Maths
- 64% 5 grades 9-4 (including English and Maths)
- 38% 5 grades 9-5 (including English and Maths)
- 71% grades 9-4
- 51% grades 9-5
- 17% grades 9-7
There were some outstanding individual performances from our students:
- Isabelle Marsh achieved grade 9 in English Literature and Language, grade 8 in Maths, grade 7-6 in Combined Science, grade 9 in French and Psychology, and grade 8 in History.
- Louisa Rose Gifford achieved grade 9 in English Literature and Language, grade 8 in Maths, grade 7 in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, grade 7 in French and grade 8 in History.
- Dobrin Kolev achieved a grade 8 in English Literature and grade 7 in Language, grade 9 in Maths and History, grade 7-7 in Combined Science and a distinction* in Digital IT and Business Studies.
- Said Akbar achieved grade 7 in English Literature and Language, grade 9 in maths, grade 7-7 in Combined Science, Distinction* in Business Studies and Digital Media, and a grade 9 in History.
- Lily Chambers achieved a grade 8 in English Literature, Language and Maths, a grade 7 in Biology and Chemistry, a grade 9 in Physics and grade 9 in History and Psychology
Early students comments include:
- Isabella Marsh - I'm very happy and greatly appreciative of all the help from my teachers.
- Louisa-Rose Gifford - I'm over the moon and glad that all the hard work and determination has paid off.
- Said Akbar - I just want to say a great big thank you to all my teachers.
- Lily Chambers - The results are a great surprise and I did not expect to get an 8 in English.
- Rania Ben Rabah - Thank you to my teachers for all the support and help that I received over the last two years.
Miss Sangster, Deputy Headteacher said: ‘It has been a challenging year for all students, personally and academically. It has been incredible to be part of the students’ journey at Welling school and I applaud their hard work, resilience, determination and ability to constantly adapt to the ever changing circumstances. I am confident that whatever post-16 pathway they have chosen, they will continue to succeed and flourish. Congratulations to both staff and students who have had to work
Mr Pett, Headteacher said: ‘It is clear that students rose admirably to the challenges they faced over the past 18 months and I am delighted with the GCSE results that have been achieved by students at Welling School. Our broad curriculum offer has helped students to achieve a wide range of qualifications which will allow them to progress onto their chosen post-16 pathway. I am also delighted that so many students are choosing to stay with us and I look forward to working with them over the next two years. Finally, I would like to commend and thank all staff who worked tirelessly supporting students to achieve these fantastic results’.
Welling School welcomes Sixth Form applicants from all schools and has a broad range of successful courses on offer. We have a minimum entry requirement of 4 GCSE (or equivalent) passes for vocational courses. Enrolment for the new Sixth Form will begin on Friday 3 September 2021. For further information regarding our sixth form provision, please contact either Ms Vicky Humphrey (Head of Sixth Form) firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms Major (Deputy Headteacher